Blog Posts


Sunday 28 August 2016

You, your baby and thrush.


When the little one was a couple weeks old, I developed a piercing pain in my boobs. It almost felt like there was glass shooting through them, needless to say, it was uncomfortable.

I had a slight inkling it was thrush. Not only did I have this piercing pain, my babe smelled like yeast. Thrush is a yeast infection you and/or your baby can develop for a variety of reasons. We most likely developed it as a side effect of me taking antibiotics while pregnant. I had this wicked sinus infection that made me want to pull out all my teeth.

When I called up the midwife, she asked if he had white stuff on his tongue that would not wipe off. He didn't. She was hesitant to prescribe the antibiotics; she didn't believe that I knew what we had with the symptoms we presented, but thankfully she did. It was between these yellow drops for my son or this purple gunk that I slather on my nipples, I chose the former.

I went and picked up the antibiotics and started giving them to my son; 1mL twice a day like it said. What it didn't say was that shit stains. I was wearing my white nursing bra and it is now forever tainted yellow. It looks like I dropped mustard on my bra, which ironically happened at a later time; the mustard came off easier than the meds did.

I didn't stick with the meds long enough and the pain was back. We had a little bit of antibiotics left so I started the treatment again. This time I gave him half a mL (at my own discretion) twice a day. He was just a wee babe, so I didn't think he needed the full 1mL.

The half mL worked! We were finally thrush free and now the pain in my boobs wasn't from the thrush, it was from the joys of being used as a chew toy!

No comments:

Post a Comment