Blog Posts


Tuesday 13 September 2016

Are we really friends?

Everyone always says that your friends will change once you have kids. What happens if you didn't really have any friends to start with??

I have lived in this area for basically ten years. I did have a two year hiatus in that time period where I went away to school. In those ten years I've had, seven different jobs that I can remember. Out of those seven jobs, you think I would have developed some sort of friendship where people would actually want to hang out.

I do have some friends, well if that's what you can call them. These friends we keep saying we should get together sometime, that sometime hasn't seemed to come yet. I basically have an open schedule with not working and staying at home. I generally have one appointment (hair, doctor, etc.) a month where I can't meet up with people for a few hours. I am not really the one that can say, "hey, you available to get together on Wednesday?" Chances are they're working or have plans.

These friends never seem to want to make the effort to get together, it makes me feel like a bad person. Most of these friends have kids as well, so I do understand how things can be difficult. They've all had kids for the whole time I've known them, so that hasn't changed. The major thing that's changed is I don't get to see them at work. These people are all work friends, we hang out at work and don't get together outside of work. I find it very depressing and lonely.

I have another friend who likes to get together on her schedule. It never worked before I had a baby and it definitely doesn't work now. We even moved back to town, so now instead of being a 20 minute drive away, we're a ten minute walk up the street. Oh, and she had a "mutual departure" from her work at the beginning of the summer. Guess how many times she came to visit after this departure. You got it! ZERO! She said to me a couple of time "we should get together since I'm not working." This "friend" also asked me to be in her bridal party and then she and her hubby eloped without telling us. My hubby was supposed to be the best man. In all fairness, it was a really small ceremony and I couldn't have gone anyways since it was at like 10PM, it's still nice to be invited.

My dad said I must not be a very good friend since I've only been invited to ONE friend wedding, jokingly of course. It still hurt my feelings though. The only friend wedding I've been to is a friend from University, whom I met ten years ago and I've seen a handful of times since 2008. HE is probably one of the best friends I have and I miss him all the time. I know he and his wife would actually want to hang out and would schedule a time.

I don't know what else I can do. I've gone to events, I've volunteered, I've given my number to people, I've gone to mom groups. I hate living in this area and hopefully it won't be forever, but we just moved and don't really want to do it again anytime soon.

What else can I do?

2 comments:

  1. I've learned that bloggy buddies can turn out to be real friends too.
    Hi! Stopping by from Mom Bloggers Club.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll have to take a little more time out of my day to develop those relationships!

      Delete